Saturday, April 6, 2013

Blog Post Assignment #11

Little Kids...Big Potential

Little Kids Big Potential was a You Tube video about the technology used in Mrs. Kathy Cassidy's classroom. She is a first grade teacher in Canada. Her students use lots of technology in her classroom. The students each have a blog that they really enjoy working on. They also get to other educational sites through a class website that they can also access from home. When they want to learn about different topics such as, traditions, they post to a Wikis page and invite others to post about their traditions so they will have a better understanding of what it means. They also use Skype to interview people and communicate with other classrooms.

Educational Video Game Screenshot
I really like that Mrs. Cassidy uses so much technology in her classroom. I will definitely do the same in mine. Hopefully I will be lucky enough to have computers donated to my room as well. I would like for my students to have a class blog so that their family can keep up with the different things they are doing in class. I thought it was really neat that so many of her students received responses from family members to their blog. I think that helps keep the kids excited and interested in learning. I also think it is really cool to have a class web page where my students can go to different educational sites from school or at home. I like the idea of being able to filter what they have access to. That is something that is really important to me. I also think it was really cool to include a Nintendo DS into the curriculum. Kids love video games and when it teaches them something educational in the process that is a plus because they are learning and they don't even realize it. I love the Wii so if I could some how work that into my curriculum I think it is something that my students would really enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. I really liked your post. I would also incorporate the Wii and other technology in my classroom like Ms. Cassidy did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't rely on donations! Baldwin County is showing hoe the school system can lead the way. All students in Baldwin County will have either a Mac Book Pro or an iPad within 2 years. Mobile County will be forced to make significant changes in their policies about purchasing technology just to keep up with their neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. Strange, I'm glad Mobile County will be forced to catch up to their neighbor. It is a shame that the largest school system in the state is so far behind in technology. The kids suffer most!

    ReplyDelete